A Travellerspoint blog

Colca Canyon, Rainy Days and lots of coca tea

So on Wednesday we set off at 3am on a little mini bus. It was so uncomfortable and going along the bumpiest of roads. Impossible to sleep on! After 3 hours of driving we stopped for a view point of the canyon and to see if we could spot any condores which are meant to be one of the biggest birds in the world with a 3m wing span. We'd been there for about 25 mins and didn't think we would see any so started heading back to the bus. Will nipped to the loo and then I heard shouting and pointing so I ran over to see the huge bird gliding through the sky! It was amazing I've got some ace photos on my ccamera. Will unfortunately missed that one but when we started trekking one literally flew right over us not far away at all! It was crazy. Apparently we were really lucky to see them as it's the rainy season they don't tend to fly much because they have really bad eye site.
The trekking was so hard! The first day we walked down hill for 4 hours before we stopped for lunch. Downhill was ok but our legs started to feel like jelly after a bit and we were walking on like a rocky rubble that was really easy to slip on, I only had running trainers on so they weren't the grippiest of shoes! So we stopped off at this little cabin in the trees for our lunch where they'd cooked us a veggie soup to start and some steak, rice and veg for mains. It was amazing and it was just this little Peruvian family that had made it for us.we then had 3 more hours of trekking until we arrived at our hostel for the night. That trekking wasn't too bad, we had a group of 8 who were all young travellers with a good sense of humour which made it really fun. The views were incredible! We arrived at our hostel at 5pm which was really nice with a swimming pool and loads of little huts to sleep in. After a nice spaghetti Bolognese we were all in bed by 8.30 ready to begin trekking at 5am the next day! The worst thing was having to put our wet clothes on the next day as we'd got soaked in the rain in the afternoon (it tends to be sunny in the mornings and rainy in the afternoons during rainy season)
I can honestly say this second day was the hardest of my life! We only had 7km to go but it was all super steep uphill. Setting off at 5am was a great idea as it was nice and cool even though we spent the first hour in the pitch black sharing torch light! Then the rain started which was even better. It was just a drizzly rain perfect for keeping us cool! We zigzagged the whole 7km it was honestly relentless and I never thought we would ever make it! Fortunately though at 8am we arrived soaking wet at a little restaurant to have our breakfast and finish our trekking! So we only had 3 hours the second day it was just killer! To help us with the altitude we drank lost of coca tea which trust me is no English breakfast! We also chewed on coca leaves which gives us an energy boost.
On the way back we stopped off to look at some llamas and have our lunch but we could not wait to get back to our hostel in arequipa to have a shower, put a movie on and have an early night! It was an ace trek but such hard work. Our legs are killing today!
Off to cusco on the night bus tonight. Hopefully this journey is as comfortable as the last night bus journey! We're going to do the jungle trek there which involves mountain biking, trekking,hot springs and zip lining! Can't wait!

Posted by amcara91 04:01 Archived in Peru

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint